Consider these situations: Family A has a ten-year-old house, and three steam cleanings and a host of other efforts have failed to remove some of the stains eight years after purchasing a carpet. On the other hand, Family B recently purchased a house with a wooden floor, only to later decide that they need to turn their house into a high-traffic mini-resort. These two examples will definitely prove that both carpet and hardwood floors have their downsides. None of them is perfect, and the type of flooring the user chooses should be determined by the intended long-term function of the floor covering. To make a logical decision on which floor to choose, try to look at the advantages and disadvantages of each type of floor.
advantages of wood
– Hardwood floors come in a wide variety of materials, but may not have as many colors as carpet. However, the natural colors of the different types of wood give it the advantage of blending in and complementing almost anything in the room.
– Thanks to some of the latest advances and improvements that make wood resistant to stains, scratches, and destruction by termites, choosing hardwood flooring makes it a breeze to keep your home neat and tidy.
– It is really very rare to find someone who is allergic to wood. This makes wood a safe and healthy choice, especially for people who may react to some of the chemical reagents often used in carpet cleaning detergents. The wood also does not store sand or solid particles and would therefore be suitable for people with asthma or other respiratory complications.
disadvantages of wood
– Although hardwood floors do not require hazardous detergents to clean, the floor cleaners used may include substances that keep the wood looking fresh and clean. These substances are also responsible for keeping termites away and can also affect the health of some people when inhaled.
– Compared to carpets, wood is a very expensive floor. Especially if you’re on a small budget, your choice of hardwood flooring may require careful consideration.
Advantages of carpets
– Rugs come in a wide variety of colors and patterns. Choosing a rug for your floor covering allows you a wide freedom of choice to find a “look” that reflects your personal style. The texture of a rug is also soft and warm compared to hardwood floors, and rugs can act as insulation on cold floors.
– The prices of the carpets usually vary according to the material. This variety gives you the flexibility to work within your means to get the perfect rug for your home. Compared to hardwood floors, rugs are very easy to come by.
Disadvantages of carpets
– Carpets require regular cleaning and are more subject to tough stains than wood. They are also known to attract dust, often making them dirty easily.
– Carpets are not the best alternative for people with various allergies, especially if you know you won’t be able to clean your carpets regularly. This is because the carpet fiber often stores dirt, dander or grit particles, which can rise up and trigger allergic reactions like coughing and sneezing.
Each of these floor covering options can be ideal for your home, and the tips above should help you choose the right type of flooring.